encryption

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Oct 1 12:47:43 EDT 2007

At Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:30:44 -0400 "Toan T Nguyen" <nguyenthetoan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/1/07, Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> wrote:
> > Robert Smits <bob at rsmits.ca> writes:
> > > Considering that encryption adds no functionality to the basic program, I'd
> > > sooner have limited programming time spent on other things that matter far
> > > more to me.
> > >
> > > Being able to do billing from Gnucash would make far more difference than
> > > encryption I'm never going to use.
> >
> > This would be the general form of my response as well; given the limited
> > development cycles and many ... issues that GnuCash has, implementing
> > "encryption" for the small fraction of users that want it seems pretty low on
> > the list.
>
> Fair enough. I think the FAQ should be modified to say this is a
> low-priority feature, rather than reject it outright. This way,
> someone (might be me) may try to add this feature to gnucash.

Probably the best way would be like the way gnucash does compression:
use a well supported library.  And make it *optional*!

> Toan

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk