handling of "joint" expenses

Don Coleman don at coleman.org
Thu Oct 4 10:42:52 EDT 2007

So I and my partner have joint accounts for joint expenses.   We're
careful to put equal amounts of money in, so we don't generally track
individual outflows though some balancing account.

Occasionally we do have some expense which we end up paying out of a
non-joint account, and we'll make a transfer to balance things -- but
I'd like to have a way of tracking that I "reconciled" a particular
transaction against a joint account.

In an account of type expense,  the "R" field isn't generally used
(according to some documentation I've read), so my idea it to just mark
it as "cleared".

I could also just enter a value in the Num field (which is almost always
blank in our accounts, because we never use checks).

How "bad" is it to use the "R" field this way (only in expense accounts)?

What sort of trouble am I going to get into?

Any suggestions for a simple and better way to do this?

Thanks,
Don