A/R with multiple currencies

Damian Dimmich djd20 at kent.ac.uk
Fri Oct 5 18:37:54 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am starting up a small business which deals in both the Euro zone and
in the UK.  As such I would like to be able to add invoices and process
payments in a Euro based A/R account and a GBP A/R account.  While the
GBP A/R account works as expected, the Euro account's balance always
reads 0. If I edit an invoice that I posted to the Euro A/R account, it
shows the correct subtotal amount.  When it gets posted it just shows
the balance to be 0.00 and the Invoice field is empty in the Euro
Accounts Receivable view.  My default currency is GBP.

I have tried to recreate the invoice, post it, unpost it and repost it.
I set the Transfer to point to a Euro Sales account, which also shows me
an empty Income field.

I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if support for foreign
currencies does not extend to the Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable
business section.

I haven't actually tried out using accounts payable with euros yet.  One
solution I can think of is to have separate files for the euro and the
gbp aspects of the business.  This isn't quite what I am looking for as
transferring money to and from my euro accounts would be a bit fiddly,
unless I end up never doing that.

I am using Gnucash 2.2.1 built from r16462 through fink on an Intel mac.

I haven't managed to find anything through googling or looking through
recent mail archives.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you very much in advance,
Damian