Can I Do This?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Oct 7 09:51:41 EDT 2007

"Tom Browder" <tom.browder at gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to emulate my current Quicken set up:
>
> Brokerage acc't X (and Y, ditto)
>   cash transactions (checkbook "register")
>   stock transactions (multiple stocks, all transactions in one "register")

You cannot have all your stock transactions in one register.  Well,
could if you did:

  Brokerage : Stocks : { StockA, StockB, StockC, ... }

and then used File -> Open Subaccounts on the Brokerage:Stocks account..
But I don't think that's what you're asking.

> Note that I have a stock A in the two different brokerage accounts (X
> and Y), so the single commodity account would have to show
> transactions for it assigned to different parent accounts.

You cannot do this at all..  You'd lose which brokerage owns
which set of stock.

> Can that be done now (I think not)?

Nope.

> Is it doable within the current architecture?

Nope.  An account only has a single owner.  And each account can
only hold a single commodity.