Can I Do This?

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 17:56:20 EDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com>:

> > ..
> >> Nope, a Lot combines multiple "splits" in the same account.  It's based
> >> on the Split->Account, so you cannot tie it to a different account.
> >
> > How about assigning a kvp to a stock lot that refers to some kind of
> > "alias" account that can then show its assigned lots' transactions in
> > one view?
>
> You've left the realm of "user" questions -- this should migrate
> to -devel.  Please CC responses there (and feel free to drop -user).
>
> Are you offering to implement such a feature?  You'd need to double-link
> the objects, because I suspect most of the time you'd want to see the
> list of stock transactions for a particular account, rather that asking
> a particular transaction which account it's tied to.  I have no idea how
> you'd represent this in the UI.  I also don't understand why you want
> to do this in the first place.  I would think that this would be better
> served by a report that combines the same stock from different accounts
> into a single count.

One important reason for doing it is to audit or reconcile statements
I get from the brokerage firms (but perhaps there is a better way).

And I guess 'll have to try an implementation since, in order to
replace Quicken, I believe this is a must-have capability.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida
USA