GnuCrash + logging

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Mon Oct 8 18:18:34 EDT 2007

I had used 1.8 for 1 1/2 years, which was absolutely stable.
As I described in the other thread "crash on duplicate record", I am
experiencing regular crashes with 2.0.5.

So, now I am a regular user of the replay log feature.

My thoughts on this:

I find it totally inconvenient having to replay the logs manually. My
previous accounting package (Quicken 98) saved every transaction to the
main file. So, in case of a program or system crash I knew my last
transaction was saved and I just had to restart the application.

Import log presents you with dozens of log files, which are obviously
dated; but still, it's difficult to spot the right one because there are
no dashes between the data/time figures.
In to-day's scenario, I ended up with half a dozen log files dated 8th
October, probably due to multiple saves and crashes.

During my first session, I had created a new account. Log import does
not recreate the account and any transactions against the new
account ended up in Orphan-GBP.

One of the log files that I imported must have created some bogus data
as I found a savings account had a balance of -£3100 after import.

I use GnuCash every day, it's probably the application I use most. I am
not writing to have a rant, nor to complain about the bug. I just
wanted to give my views on the recovery process.
Also, I would like to know how to provide you with the necessary debug
info so you have a chance to fix the duplicate record bug. If any
application needs to be rock-solid, it's an accounting package.

--

Best Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion