Invoicing/billing in foreign currency.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 10 09:37:19 EDT 2007

Hi,

Please don't forget to CC the list on all your replies...

Wouter van Marle <wouter at squirrel-systems.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 09:31 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Did you try to re-select the customer/vendor?
>
> Just tried, and that solves the issue indeed. I selected a different
> vendor, closed the dialogue, and re-selected the original vendor again.
> Still a bug. Luckily only a few invoices/bills with that issue.
>
> When trying at first I posted the bill in a HKD account, this again gave
> an empty amount (which is quite OK as it is a EUR bill).
>
> However I have made a similar error before when posting invoices, and
> then it didn't do this: just post a USD invoice in a HKD account.
> Probably in that case the customer does not have a currency set, I
> didn't investigate further.
>
> And I found I am able to post the bill in a read-only account. That
> should not be possible (shouldn't allow me to select that account in the
> first place when posting the invoice). Is that fixed already or should I
> file a bug report?

If a bug report doesn't exist, please file one.

> Finally a suggestion for improvement here: when creating an
> invoice/bill, when posting it, the selection menu should only show
> liability accounts with matching currency. Thus posting a EUR bill, only
> EUR denominated liability accounts should be shown. Again need for a bug
> report?

I suppose this should get filed, too, but arguably the user should
know what they are doing here.  There's no testing in other code,
so you can shoot yourself in the foot.  And eventually it would be
nice to have the business code handle exchange rates, too.