Advice for setting up house budget with roommates

Patrick Clery radicalpower at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 00:23:42 EDT 2007

Hi there,

Currently, my five roommates and myself are trying to setup a budget with
Gnucash to keep track of our finances.

The way our home works is that whenever any one of us pays an expense for the
house (bill, cleaning, supplies, etc.) then each of us will pay 1/6th of that
expense, and the person who paid the bill is given is money back out of the
house fund.

We want to keep track of who owes money, who is owed money, and when a person
is paid back for an expense he purchases, but the problem is that with the
systems we've come up with, it became overly complex and we had to
redundantly enter the same expenses in several places.

What I would like to know is has anyone here setup a similar system for a
shared living situation and could share how they did it? We have tried to set
this up except it became redundant having to enter Can anyone recall of any
similar examples of this in the mailing list archives?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Patrick