recovery

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Tue Oct 30 18:13:01 EDT 2007

I am sure crash recovery is not an issue for too many users. As it is,
I crash at least once a day and I am not finding this manual process
very end-user friendly.

I just had a crash and I am presented with 7 log files which were
created to-day. I save often (due to the regular crashes).

Presumably, everytime I save a new log file is created? I can see
that the youngest log file is created upon restart. Does that mean that
I only ever have to replay the penultimate log file after a crash?

There is no way I can remember which transactions I entered since the
last save. All I can do is spot check whether I managed to recover all
lost transactions. You can well imagine that I am worried about losing
my data.

In my view, the end user should not have to dig around log files in
order to recover. Quicken does not need to to recover after a crash as
every transaction is saved when committed. When OpenOffice crashes, you
simply press a recover button. Would that not be possible with gnucash?

--

Best Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion