recovery

Keith A. Milner kamilner at superlative.org
Wed Oct 31 07:55:09 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 07:02:16 Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:55:07 -0600
> I can see that it would be too slow to save a 13MB xml file after every
> transaction. Why use xml anyway?

Looking at the archives, I believe the current XML database was inherited by
the current devs. It seems everyone (or at least most people) agree that XML
is not the correct format to store the data in (great for data interchange,
not for storage).

Changing this is a significant task, and one which few appear to be willing to
undertake, especially as it's likely to break some things and remove
some "back-door" capability that some people use.

At one point there was a project to provide an optional PostgreSQL database
instead of the XML one. This is a fine idea in many environments as it can
provide multi-user capability, proper database referential integrity, better
data recoverability, etc.

My understanding is that this project was never "finished" in that it's not
well supported and doesn't support some functionality which many consider to
be essential (such as business features, invoicing and such). I'm not sure
what, if any, plans there are for this.

However, I believe that the overhead and complexity of setting up and
maintaining a postgreSQL database server is overkill for many people, who are
happy with a "local" file format, but would benefit from something better
than the current XML format. I wonder if this is part of the reason the
postgreSQL support seems to be going nowhere.

Musing: perhaps there is some benefit in bundling a local, lightweight
database such as SQLite with Gnucash as a backend instead of the current XML
one, with the option to change this to PostgreSQL for users who want this.
Obviously this would require full support of the current business features as
well.

Of course, this is easily stated but requires a lot of work to achieve.
Unfortunately with my current workload I won't have time to devote to this.

Cheers,

--
Keith Milner