recovery

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Wed Oct 31 16:38:46 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:55:09 +0000
"Keith A. Milner" <kamilner at superlative.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 October 2007 07:02:16 Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:55:07 -0600
> > I can see that it would be too slow to save a 13MB xml file after
> > every transaction. Why use xml anyway?
>
> Looking at the archives, I believe the current XML database was
> inherited by the current devs. It seems everyone (or at least most
> people) agree that XML is not the correct format to store the data in
> (great for data interchange, not for storage).

Presumably, the XML format is one of the reasons why reporting is so
excruciatingly slow. I have 4 years' worth of data, a 13MB XML file.
Generating a P&L (income statement) takes 1 minute in 2.0.5! Quite
frankly, I can't be bothered to run reports anymore, which really
defeats the point of inputting all this data.

> Changing this is a significant task, and one which few appear to be

I am sure a lot of energy was spent on migrating to gtk2.
Having just upgraded from 1.8, I am really pleased with the new
interface.

My only gripe is with the reporting feature: it is way too slow to be
useful and I'd like the reports to be more configurable.

--

Best Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion