Reconciliation

keith keith at bellairs.org
Mon Sep 10 22:33:14 EDT 2007

Reconciliation serves 2 purposes. One is to check that the amounts of
the items charged to accounts are correct. The other is to make sure
that the bank's balance for the account is the same as yours. To make
the second work you need to know that the starting balance is correct.
So you need to reconcile bank statements in order. Gnucash does let you
mark the amounts as you compare them with the bank statement, even if
you do not do a reconciliation. So you can do 1 without 2 if you want;
you just cannot call the amounts reconciled.

Keith
Guelph