Financial Transaction Classifier

Doug Latornell doug-gnucash at sadahome.ca
Tue Sep 18 01:11:01 EDT 2007

If I'm understanding what you're asking, Chris, Gnucash does have that kind
of functionality in its OFX importer.  I download my chequing account and
credit card transactions in OFX format (my bank calls it M$ Money format).
The first time I did it I had to assign each transaction to its appropiate
Expense subaccount (groceries, gas, clothing, restaurants, etc.) - that's
the training part.  On subsequent imports a lot of transactions get
automagically matched to the correct account.  Of course when you charge a
meal at the fabulous new "it" restaurant, or one out of town or something,
Gnucash has no way of knowing that transaction should go to the restaurant
account, but once you train it, return visits get matched correctly.

If your bank supports transaction data downloads, give it a go.  They may
call the format M$ Money or Quicken, but it's OFX under the marketing label.

Doug