Need accounting advice

Vahur Lokk vahur.lokk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 07:52:44 EDT 2007

Hello!
I am getting into a strange business situation. My main business is
freelance translation. Easy enough from the accounting point of view.
Now I am making a contract with a big client, organisation that does
film festivals. I am going to do all the subtitling project management
for them. At least double my current turnover + hassle with
subcontractors and all that PITA.
This means that through the year will be few smaller (still big for me)
festivals + huge one in the end of the year.
I just finished the first small one and i feel quite uncomfortable,
because I would like to monitor project costs separately.

Can I organise gnucash so, that I create a separate file for every
festival, using my usual account tree, do the project/festival
accounting there, then, when everything is finished, import it into my
main accounting file? This way I would have an overview of project
profitability, cost control etc.

If this is possible, then what limits/problems I will have, eg. how can
I handle situation if, for some reason, I need to present a balance
sheet during one of the festivals and therefore have to do an import of
"unfinished" festival file?

Wahur