Need accounting advice

Vahur Lokk vahur.lokk at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 03:04:44 EDT 2007

Derek Atkins wrote:
> The log replay only works when replaying back into the data file in
> which the transactions were created.  It shouldn't work across multiple
> data files, because the Account GUIDs will be different.

In my case it should work - I created "project" file from an account
tree export of a main file, intuitively guessing that fully matching
account tree might be a good idea.
> The log files also dont log account-changes.

You mean, situation where there are accounts added/removed? This is not
a big risk (tree has settled down nicely) and now that I know it should
not be done, I can avoid it.
It would become a problem, if I had more such clients or if the project
periods would be overlapping, but this is not the case right now.
If such project management becomes my main business, I will probably
have to think hard about my overall software setup anyway.
> So, I wouldn't depend on Log replay.  Personally I'd really
> suggest looking into why the Gnucash2QIF didn't work.

I am not really familiar with xml, and as long as those account tree
considerations are the only risk, I would not bother.
But I'll try to be useful and do some testing later this weekend and
sort out what happened with Gnucash2QIF.

Wahur, Master of Ugly Workarounds