Wow, gnucash has come a long way

Toan T Nguyen nguyenthetoan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 22:33:19 EDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> > - Some weird bugs with negative/positive amounts in expense accounts
> > (I make a report on net worth, and the asset column is zero :).
>
> Not sure what you mean about this.  Could you go into more detail?

Never mind. I/Gnucash was confused between a money market account
(which is a "mutual fund" type) and a brokerage cash account (a "bank"
type). I corrected it and everything's fine (asset is correctly
reported). As for the negative/positive amounts, somehow gnucash
importer set some expense accounts to "income" type (hence negative
amount). In my specific case, Academic->Books or Academic->Conferences
were wrongly set to "income" type. I easily corrected them.

Now everything is perfect. I ran a few reports on various categories
in Gnucash, and in Quicken. Both are identical. Must say again, I'm
very impressed. My Quicken data spans 10 years and all are perfectly
converted.

One more wish list: "Symbol lookup" to setup stock accounts. Entering
symbol information for my 20+ active stocks/funds was really a pain
(and there's still a bunch of no-longer-own stocks/funds that I
haven't assigned symbol yet).