reports - excruciatingly slow

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 27 16:11:52 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 05:35:00PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <gnucash at numerixtechnology.de>:
>
> > I have noticed that my reports have recently become very slow. This
> > might either be due to migration from 1.8 to 2.0 or because my data are
> > growing.
>
> Yes, the reports were modified between 1.8 -> 2.0 and the algorithms
> in use are much slower than on previous versions.
>
> > I mainly use P&L (Income Statement). It does not matter how short or
> > long the time period is. I am on a fast, modern PC. But the P&L is so
> > slow I almost can't be bothered with it. I have unticked compression
> > but that does not make a difference.
>
> Yeah, compression wont make a difference.  The main issue is the number
> of transactions.  The time to run the report is based only on that
> (and, of course, the speed of your computer and how much RAM you have).
>
> It would be nice to re-work the reports (again) to fix the algorithms
> so they aren't O(n^3) (or whatever it is).

Derek, what, in your estimation, is the cause of this? I've been
suffering with slow reports for a while and now with 2.2 in deb/sid,
it seems even worse (two minutes to run a monthly income statement).
Diving into the C is not something I'm in a position to do, but if
its things in the Scheme parts, I'm interested in tackling it.

I know the stock answer -- go read the code... I'll do it. But my O(n)
fu is pretty weak, so if you have a pointer that would be great. Is it
just really inefficient iteration over transactions within the reports
themselves? or something more subtle in the calls to the gnc: hooks
that cause the backend to iterate over the transactions a bunch?

I'll spend a few hours over the next week or so looking at it to see
if I can somehow help in that regard.