Question about Lots and Capital Gains

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue Apr 1 04:56:56 EDT 2008

On 31 March 2008 at 17:02, Charles Day said:

[...]
> 5. Actions->View Lots
> 6. Click Scrub Account.
> 7. View Lots shows Lot 0 with 4 shares (all sold), and Lot 1 with 10
> shares (2 sold, 8 remaining).
> 8. The stock account's register shows two new transactions for the
> capital gains: one for the 4 shares sold from Lot 0, and one for the 2
> shares sold from Lot 1.

I'd wondered what View Lots was supposed to do - nothing happens (at
least in my experience) until you hit that "Scrub Account".

In addition to what you said, it rebuilds your "Sell" transaction,
splitting the sale into two parts: one for (all of) the first lot, and
the second for the remainder. No doubt this extends in the obvious way to
more than two lots.