Vanishing transactions and log file

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 2 10:39:07 EDT 2008

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> writes:

> By the way, I've also been confused by the rules regarding the comment
> or note in the header line vs the notes on the splits.  In some views
> there seem to be 2 header lines (top one with the date and most of the
> key info, 2nd one for the note, I assume).  I think there is a notion of
> a "transaction comment" distinct from a "split comment", but the
> contents of the transaction and split comments seem to get copied
> between each other (in the display) following some rules I haven't
> understood.

This is all in the docs.  There are multiple places where you can
enter in text information.  In particular:

  Transaction Description
  Transaction Notes
  Split Memo

The first is available always (on the line with the date)
The third is only available when you expand the transaction
using the "Split" button (or in a non-basic journal mode).
The second is only available when you enable "double line" mode.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the contents of the transaction and
split comments seem to get copied between each other (in the
display)".  Could you expand on that, explain what you mean,
and maybe supply some screen shots?

> The problem with that is that it makes the typical case, a transaction
> involving exactly 2 splits, awkward.

There really needs to be another "special-basic" mode that shows a
basic 2-split transaction in basic mode but shows any multi- (>=3)
split transaction in expanded mode.  It would be half-way between
basic mode and journal mode, but not quite the auto-split mode.

This new mode would certainly make it more clear....