Question about Lots and Capital Gains

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 12:56:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Yogesh Agrawal <agrawaly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Rich Bloch <richbl at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the info Charles.
> > >
> > > I cannot repro the situation that you describe.
> > >

> > Here's what I recall in a little more detail:
> > 1. Open the stock account's register.
> > 2. Enter a stock buy of 4 shares @ $2 on day 1.
> > 3. Enter a stock buy of 10 shares @ $3.50 on day 2.
> > 4. Enter a sell of 6 shares @4.10 on day 3, with no splits for capital
> > gains.
> > 5. Actions->View Lots
> > 6. Click Scrub Account.
> > 7. View Lots shows Lot 0 with 4 shares (all sold), and Lot 1 with 10
> > shares
> > (2 sold, 8 remaining).
> > 8. The stock account's register shows two new transactions for the
> > capital
> > gains: one for the 4 shares sold from Lot 0, and one for the 2 shares
> > sold
> > from Lot 1.
>

> Hi Charles,
> Is it a good idea to add this example in the  wiki faq?
>
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_keep_track_of_capital_gains_with_stocks.3F
>
> Which will help a lot of other people in the future.

It might not be a good idea just yet... as Derek has indicated, the lots
functionality is incomplete. Despite the promising results seen in our
testing, significant parts of the lots functionality are probably broken.

Derek, can you be more specific about what is incomplete in the lots stuff?
Maybe a few people will be inspired to dig into the code. (Perhaps this
level of detail should be moved to the gnucash-devel list.)

Cheers,
Charles

 [snip]