Gnucash performance

Keith Bellairs keith at bellairs.org
Thu Apr 3 12:20:07 EDT 2008

Sure. HP now supports linux, so you can probably find everything you
need. Try Googling "hp laptop linux" for lots of information. You can
1. Wipe the disk and do a complete linux install -- then you have no
more Windows -- many of consider this the ideal solution.
2. Install linux in a second partition on your hard drive and be set
to "dual boot" so you can run either one -- this takes more fooling
around.
3. Install VMWare (or other virtualization system) and run linux in a
virtual machine on your Windows box -- I go the other way and (4) run
Windows in a VM on my linux box.

As you mentioned, there are many, many different distributions of
linux. They all have the linux kernel, but then differ in the way they
package and set up the rest of the system. Take a look and see which
ones have worked well for other HP laptop users. I think I have heard
that many think Ubuntu is very good for desktop applications.