Vanishing transactions and log file

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 3 13:01:14 EDT 2008

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> writes:

>> Without seeing the register header line
>
> attached, if I understand what you mean.

Yep.  Thanks..  That verifies you're using the wrong account type.

>> too I'm having a hard time
>> deciphering this.  For one thing, what's the question-mark doing
>> in the second column?   It looks like you're in an A/R or A/P account!
>
> Correct: A/R.

Yeah...  A/R (and A/P) are NOT for human consumption.  They were
designed specifically for the business features.  I was going to
originally make the A/R and A/P registers read-only to make this more
clear but unfornately I couldn't do that in a good way.  But yeah,
you're not supposed to be using A/R and A/P for hand-entered
transactions.  Just use "Asset" and "Liability".

So yes, what you're seeing there is a duplicate of the Split Memo for
the A/R Account Split.

>> Second, I cannot reproduce this here.  I tried following your suggestion
>> but it's not working.
>
> That's interesting; I tried it in a cash account, and the problem did
> not arise.

Right.

>> > Of course, if the transaction has 2 splits in the register's account,
>> > there's an extra layer (I think it's either the first or last of the
>> > splits that's linked to the transaction notes.).
>>
>> What do you mean by "extra layer"?  Again, I cannot reproduce that
>> here.
> Mostly that the problems we've been discussing when one transaction has
> multiple splits in the register account come up.  However, the
> comment/memo copying behavior is also a little different; my
> recollection is that it is as I described above:  one of the split
> comments gets tied to the transaction memo.

Nope, it's not being tied to the transaction memo; the same field
is displayed twice in the A/R and A/P registers, by design.

>> So, when should we expect patches from you for this new register mode?
>> :-)
>
> When I have free time, which I don't (:

Well, then, I guess the feature will have to wait.