Split Transactions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 8 10:20:36 EDT 2008

Hi,

Tony Nelson <tonyn at openlearning.com> writes:

> Hi List,
>
> I know this is a basic question, and I have sniffed around the doc and
> FAQs, but I can't find it answered.
>
> I am in my check register, attempting to write a check to a Credit Card
> company.  In QuickBooks I can easily itemize the payment.  For example:
>
> Airfaire: $140.00
> Meals: $37.20
> Meals: $16.11
> Office Supplies: $11.11
>
> As itemized entries are recorded QuickBooks totals up the items so that
> the amount on the check reflects the correct total.
>
> I don't see a way to do the same in gnucash, but I'm certain it must be
> there.  Can someone give me a hint on how to achieve this?

It works the same way.  Just click on the "Split" button to expand
it.   The main key to keep in mind is that you need to make sure that
the first split you enter is the "current account" split.  But you
don't have to put a number in right away.  What you can do is leave
the number empty and then add all the rest of the splits.  It will
compute the total on the "blank split" line which, when you're done,
you can copy back to the first split.