Combined Personal plus Businesses in same file

dave at davestechshop.net dave at davestechshop.net
Mon Apr 7 18:28:49 EDT 2008

I just downloaded GnuCash. I've been using MS Money (the version for personal + business). I have a couple small businesses (for example, a single rental property in its own company).

I want to keep all transactions in the same file. Mainly I want to have flexibility to change account assignments without re-entering transactions in another file.

I often use the same credit card for purchases across all entities. Furthermore, some purchases are split amount entities. I want to minimize the time I spend on this activity, so I cannot justify separate files for each entity because that leads to a lot more data entry when I have to change the entity associated with an entry.

I thought about using MoneyDance because its "tags" feature would facilitate this functionality. Unfortunately, java apps don't work well with compiz-fusion, so MoneyDance is out of consideration for now.

What is the best way to accomplish my goal with GnuCash? Thanks.