Property Tax

Youssef Ltaief ltai0001 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 13 10:42:41 EDT 2008

when you rent and your income is low, you get a property tax refund based on the rent you paid during the year. It is paid by the state but it does not fall under state tax.

My setup for tax refunds is as follows:

Asset:federal Refund
Expense: federal Tax

When I know my refund amount, I add it to my asset account and take it out of my expense account. Later when I deposit the refund check, I take out of the asset, and add it top my bank account.
In this case, the expense account increases throughout the year because I itemize the paycheck.

For property tax, I cant have an account "Expense:Property Tax", because I cant itemize it in my rent bill since I don't know how much I am paying for property tax versus actual rent.

Youssef