Setting FUND instead of CURRENCY: problem 3/3

Claus A. Schumann claus at vcp-wuppertal.de
Mon Apr 14 03:57:40 EDT 2008

Hello!

I've run into problems when setting up GnuCash and cannot solve them
myself. I have already tried searching on my own and posting on the
german users mailing list but without much success. The questions are in
regard of a WindowsXP/2.2.4 System and I'll try to separate them so that
each gets its own post.

The general idea is to have subaccounts for some DEKA funds and - if all
goes well - to have both the price and the shares updated online.

So far I've managed to set up appropriate accounts, install perl and
have a regular share (AMZN and IBM) update automatically. This third
post is about changing the subaccount from EUR to the fund.

The two other problems posted earlier can be circumvented in a way, but
this one lets me run into a brick wall.

How to I set up a subaccount for a fund? Should be pretty simple, at
least the guides I found looked like it. But the problem is: Neither
when creating the subaccount nor later on am I able to change it from
CURRENCY to FUND. The funds have all been set up properly I can select
them but cannot confirm my selection.
When I access the accounts properties I do have a button "Auswaehlen"
(Select/Choose) right next to the type of currency. Pressing this button
gives me a window with four fields:

type (CURRENCY/FUND)
currency (EUR)
Cancel
OK

I am able to enter FUND into the first field and as soon as the fourth
letter is entered, the lower field switches to the first of my funds.
But whichever order I now try to confirm my selection, I always get
Andorran Franc, the first currency as a result. Also, the guides gave me
the impression that I should see a fifth button marked something like
"new currency". But obviously, it does not appear for me.

Since I was not able to find a work around for this problem, this would
be the most important of them all. I would really be thankfull for any
information how to cure this problem. And if this involves calling me
bloody stupid for overlooking something simple, I'd be fine with that
to. Just so that I can find the error...

Best regards,
    Claus Schumann