Setting FUND instead of CURRENCY: problem 3/3

Claus A. Schumann claus at vcp-wuppertal.de
Mon Apr 14 11:01:06 EDT 2008

Derek Atkins schrieb:
> Quoting "Claus A. Schumann" <claus at vcp-wuppertal.de>:
>> How to I set up a subaccount for a fund? Should be pretty simple, at
>> least the guides I found looked like it. But the problem is: Neither
>> when creating the subaccount nor later on am I able to change it from
>> CURRENCY to FUND. The funds have all been set up properly I can select
>> them but cannot confirm my selection.
>
> What you don't say is what is the Account Type of the FUND Subaccount?
> When you're in the "Edit Account" window, the lower-left pane of the
> window should be the account type.  What do you have selected in
> there?  For a FUND you need to select either Stock or Mutual type.
> Once you select the type, THEN you can select the FUND security.

Weeell, getting back to quoting myself:
"And if this involves calling me bloody stupid for overlooking something
simple, I'd be fine with that to."

First the simple truth: I've never changed this option. Now that I know
of it, I was able to select the funds. So, thank you for pointing this
out to me.

But the question remains: Why did I make this mistake? I simply had this
account set on Aktiva (assets) because a fund would be considered an
asset in a balance. I went back to the sub account and checked which
other types would have been available:
bank
cash
assets (same name as group?)
credit card
liabilities
shares (stock?)
fund
claim
liability
(I am also under the impression that some financial expressions to not
have the same meaning when translated. But you would probably be even
more uninterested if I had given the german names.)

The purpose of these subtypes appears to be to make ordering by
liquidity possible.

To prevent users from selecting the general type for an account instead
of the subtype, would it be worth having some accounts types _not_ show
up as valid options? Or, specifically to my case, would not having only
cash
bank
shares/stock
fund
claims/bills-I-sent-to-others
assets(not Aktiva but hard to sell stuff like machinery)
show up been better?

If I'd phrase this as a suggestion where would I need to post this?
(Or am I again overlooking some simple why it is a bad idea?)

Regardless, thank you anyway for helping me out.
Best regards,
    Claus