Noob Question

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Apr 15 10:46:19 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 15 Apr 2008, Rudi wrote:

> That all work's great and the cash transaction is recorded
> fine. My question is regarding my new physical asset.
>
> The item, a digital camera, where would I record this new asset?

Hi,

If you create a new "Asset:Possessions" account, you record your purchase not
as an expense (your net worth hasn't really gone down - you have
changed "money" asset into "camera" asset) but a transfer between your bank
and the asset:possessions account.

Depreciation over time is the expense, as the camera ages and becomes less
valuable.

HTH,
Maf.