Quickbooks to GnuCASH

The Wassermans dwass at optusnet.com.au
Tue Apr 15 19:36:06 EDT 2008

I am catching up on the copious chatter about converting Intuit stuff to
GnuCash.

For what it's worth, after many, many iterations of a process, I have
successfully converted my Quicken 2008 data to GnuCash. I don't know
anything about Quickbooks, as such, but I suspect an adaptation of my(?)
process will work.

The process I used was:
1. Create a report of each account
2. Save the report to a spreadsheet format
3. Convert the data to .qif using "xl2qif" utility (available at
http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php)
4. Save the newly created .qif
5. Repeat 1. - 4. until you have saved all of the accounts you want to
import into GnuCash
6. Use the GnuCash import facility to import ALL the saved .qif files.
Just follow the bouncing ball. It works!

Now all of that said, I am still struggling to import my shares
portfolio . Still a few tricky issues I am working my way through.

Hope this info might prove useful to some of you? I have had a lot of
help from the Linux community. I'd like to give something back if I can.

Dave W