Starting a new year

Manfred Jung mjung at ccm.org.za
Sun Apr 20 16:12:03 EDT 2008

Thanks for your kind answer and the answers form others.  I am learning
as I go along.

If as you suggest close the book, keep the transactions in GnuCash and
continue with a new accounting period I would over the years get a huge
file with all previous years data. Although that might be beneficial for
lookup purposes would it not  eventually become slow, cumbersome and
ineffective to keep old transactions. Is it not a better practice to
have one file (set of books) per year or per accounting period?

This is at least what triggered my question.

Further, if I understand correctly, when I export the accounts (File -->
Accounts) how would I be able to change opening balances on some of the
accounts?
I also found no way of importing a Accounts file. it seem there are only
qif and other files that can be imported ant that only into an existing
set of accounts? But maybe I am not getting something here that is quite
fundamental.

My current solution would be to recreate every year from scratch the set
of accounts and set the opening balances in the Bank account, pety cash
and other assets etc.

Is the general practice really just to leave all transactions in there
year after year?

Thanks for any further insight.

I must say I like GnuCash more and more. Again thanks for the friendly
support.
Regards

--
Manfred Jung