historical quotes

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Mon Apr 21 11:04:09 EDT 2008

Charles Gagnon wrote:
> Can gnucash get historical quotes from Yahoo! I don't need to go very
> far but for reconciliation purposes, it would be nice to run a command
> and fetch prices for 3/31/08.
>
> I import the OFX file from my broker so the securities are a lot of time
> not listed in gnucash until after I import the file which could be done
> any time in April. At that point, to compare all the values with my
> statement, I would need the prices from the closing date on the statement
I'm not real clear on your need for historical quotes.  I don't usually
bother with them.  For actual stock purchases, I have statements from my
stock account on the dates of the transaction(s).  Intermediate dates
are not important tax-wise, so I ignore them for accounting.

For my 401k, I get quarterly statements only meaning I do not know what
the purchase prices were.  To have something half-way rational, I
maintain a spreadsheet that lets me enter the data from my quarterly
statement to calculate average purchase price after accounting for
dividends, loss/gain, etc.  I then enter that average amount into
GnuCash.  This keeps my 401k account values correct as well as assuring
that my 401k "holding" account (this is where my contributions go before
I account for the purchases) has a nominal end-of-quarter balance of
zero (subject to a certain amount of jitter in dates due to when exactly
the purchase is made and when the transfer from my company to the plan
administrator happens).

roland

--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD