Starting a new year

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon Apr 21 14:04:42 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:59:30PM +0100, Maf. King wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have kept a single file for my business, which now contains 5 years of data
> in an approx. 20 Meg file (uncompressed).  The reports are generally slow to
> generate now, but I don't see any noticeable speed impact in day-to-day
> transaction entering.
>
> My personal accounts run as one file per year, mostly out of habit from years
> ago.  I'm not that bothered about comparing personal expenditure year on
> year.

I recently started a new file for 2008, after using the previous one
since 2005.  The only reason is that over the years some accounts became
unreconcilable because of lost statements.  If there was some way of
pseudoreconciling transactions from the past so that reconciliation
could be done again, I would have had no need to start a new file.  Of
course, those pseudoreconciled transactions should be marked in some way
so that later I know they weren't reconciled against an actual statment
but are just actin as if.

I noticed no reduction in startup time when I started using a new,
smaller file.  Perhaps I could measure it with the proper tools, but for
me it was not significant.

-- hendrik