Starting a new year

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Apr 23 08:49:16 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:44:32PM +0200, Manfred Usselmann wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:47:25 -0400
> Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> > hendrik at topoi.pooq.com writes:
> >
> > > I recently started a new file for 2008, after using the previous
> > > one since 2005.  The only reason is that over the years some
> > > accounts became unreconcilable because of lost statements.  If
> > > there was some way of pseudoreconciling transactions from the past
> > > so that reconciliation could be done again, I would have had no
> > > need to start a new file.  Of course, those pseudoreconciled
> > > transactions should be marked in some way so that later I know they
> > > weren't reconciled against an actual statment but are just actin as
> > > if.
> > >
> > > I noticed no reduction in startup time when I started using a new,
> > > smaller file.  Perhaps I could measure it with the proper tools,
> > > but for me it was not significant.
> >
> > Reconciliation is always from the start of time until the reconcile
> > date.  This means that in order to reconcile at date T0 you
> > effectively reconcile everything BEFORE T0..  For example, if you
> > reconcile on 12/31/2007 that means you've got to have reconciled
> > everything prior to that.  If you're missing the April 2007 statement
> > then either you guess (based on the May 2007 starting balance) or you
> > can never reconcile the account again.
>
> Or, if you don't care what exactly caused the deviation (what I assume
> because you started a new file anyhow) just add an adjusting
> transaction with the missing amount and date 31.12.2007 using the
> opening / equity account.
>
> Manfred

I do care.  I just don't have the data I need to track it down.  I can
add in a transaction to cover the difference and reconcile it, but I
want it marked somehow so that I can find it if I ever do have the data
I need.  And it also needs to be marked in some way so I know that it
isn't "really" reconciled although I'm acting as if it is.  I need to
know how much faith to place in the numbers.

-- hendrik