How to pay myself as a sole trader?

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Sat Apr 26 01:35:02 EDT 2008

On 25 Apr 08, at 23:18, Tom Badran wrote:

> I'm registered as a sole trader in the uk, and up till now all my
> income has
> just gone straight into my business account (which is also an account
> under
> assets in my gnucash accounts).

As I understand you are not a limited company, right?
In that case normally you ARE the company. So profit for the company is
income for you, for the tax-man that is. All liabilities of the company
are your personal liabilities as well.

This means "paying yourself" as in paying yourself a salary is
impossible, you can however draw money from your company account,
normally booked against an equity account. That can be the same equity
account you used for your starting capital. You can see that this way
your drawings from the company account do not change the company's
profit. This in contrast to salary you may pay an employee - that is an
expense.

If however you own a limited company, then the company is a different
entity (a legal person), and you may pay yourself a salary and
dividends on the shares you hold. Both of course are optional. In that
case you could become an employee of your own company, with all the tax
consequences of such.

In Hong Kong (presumably highly similar to UK as the laws here are
based on UK laws), a sole proprietorship - I run one - is the same as
you for the tax man. That means for income tax you write down the
profits of your company as income, in addition to any other sources of
income you may have. in Hong Kong you are then normally taxed as
individual, not as business.

And how to book income taxes paid... I still don't know really. I book
it against equity, as the tax amount is based on your profit, and
booking the tax as expense changes the profit on which it is based.
That makes things a bit confusing to me. GnuCash doesn't allow for
"profit before tax" and "profit after tax" as far as I know. Booking it
against equity also makes sense to me when considering it is YOU that
is being taxed, not the company. The company provides your income (the
profit made from your trade), and that income is taxed. Just like in
case you would receive a salary as employee.

Wouter.