report: aggregate interest per account

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Mon Apr 28 07:01:18 EDT 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:43:38 +0100
"Maf. King" <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 26 Apr 2008, you wrote:
>
> > > There is an option to expand the splits for the transaction
> > > report.
> >
> > I checked every option on every tab - couldn't see anything (v.
> > 2.0.5).
> >

> General Tab -> Style -> [single|multi-line] is what I was thinking
> of.  It is there in V2.1.1, don't know when it appeared.
>
> Maybe you'll get further if you report on the income:interest and
> liability:tax _deducted accounts, rather than the bank accounts?

I tried it both ways:

1) report on income:interest, filter/group by bank account
2) report on bank accounts, filter/group by income:interest +
expenses:tax

Option 1) groups by "Split" rather than by account.
Option 2) shows the net income, which is logical enogh as this is the
amount  against the bank account. The multi-line option expands the
split but the total refers to the net amount.

It is not possible to get the gross total interest from my split
transactions.

I have looked at "unsplitting" my interest transactions: it would be a
pretty laborious job if done manually (taking a note of the amount +
date, enter gross + deduction transactions, delete split).

I have also looked at the XML data file: the job could be done
programmatically. However, I would not be able to generate transaction
id's for the new transactions.

> > I presume it will be affected by the "similarly named reports bug"
> > http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-June/020606.html,
> > which I notice has not been resolved yet in newer versions either.
> >

> Yeah, that bug affects the code which assigns hot-keys to the
> report-names, so all reports are affected.  You need to be creative
> when you name your new reports!

I require at least half a dozen reports per year. If they can't be
named systematically, the menu is going to look like a pig's breakfast!

Regards,
Tarlika