QIF files and Reserve Accounts

Peter Haworth pete at mollysrevenge.com
Fri Aug 1 13:07:29 EDT 2008

Just started looking at gnucash for use in tracking my band's
accounting.

The most important thing for me is the ability to import QIF files.
The amount each band member is paid gets pretty complicated due to
different shares of merchandise sales and other things, so I have a
database that currently generates the accounting entries for me from
the sales at a gig.  What I'd like to do is have the database generate
a QIF file and import it into gnucash so I can get all my accounting
reports and so on from there.  I've looked at the specs for QIF file
formats and looks easy to create one.  Aside from that, I'd enter
everything else online

Right now, each band member has his/her own Accounts Payable account,
so the question is can I import a QIF file into gnucash AP accounts?
Ideally, I'd like to import the data into a gnucash invoice but I
suspect that's not possible.  What I envision is a single AP entry per
band member for each gig with splits that detail the different amounts
of money they are receiving for each piece of merchandise sold,
performance fee, etc.

Next question concerns what I call reserve accounts.  Every time we
sell a CD, a small amount of money is set aside to pay for the next
manufacturing run of the CD.  That money is retained in the band's
bank account but its almost like a savings account within the bank
account.  Quicken has a feature that lets you set aside money like
this, can't remember what they call it, but how would I do this in
gnucash?  Ideally, the entries for it would be part of the QIF file
import mentioned above.

Thanks for any input on this.

Pete Haworth