Can Not Install Version 2.2.6

Edward Baker skatewv at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 09:23:44 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am new to gnucash and I am having problems loading the subject
version.

My OS is GNU/Linux on an i386 machine.  The desktop is GNOME 2.14.3 (the
distribution is Debian Etch).

The Synaptic Package Manager will install GNUCash version 2.0.5-1 and
this version will run as installed.

But the goal is to upgrade to 2.2.6.  So I completly removed v2.0.5-1
and downloaded v2.2.6 from sourceforge.net with the idea of installing
it manually and it is here that I have run into problems:

When I try to configure the package I get the following error -
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $Path

Any suggestions on how to work through this manual install or if anyone
knows of a depository with v2.2.6 would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ted
Springvale, Maine, USA