syncing two pcs

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Aug 17 08:16:04 EDT 2008

>I never said it was simple.
>

>That's why incompatible changes will have to be resolved by hand.
>

>There does need th be a mechanism for resolving incompatible changes.
>

>The model I have in mind is ordinary domestic household accounts.

Well that raises an entirely different question --- what is the intent
of the project? A real alternative accounting package or a "mini use
only" package unsuited for anything on the scale of even a fair sized
small business. I use GnuCash for organizations of which I am treasurer
but these have very low transaction volumes.

The model (from the real business world) would be the "petty cash"
account and the mechanisms that at some periodic interval; would
transfer this activity to "general ledger" and refresh the "petty cash"
account. In other words, a way to "link" two sets of Gnucash books, a
subsidiary set of books with the main books.

I would not consider "resolving by hand" practical in "the real world".
But then the systems on which I worked had at least 30,000 transactions
on a quiet day and over 100,000 on a busy night. So finding/dropping an
offending transaction was always a matter of writing an ad hoc program.

Michael