Matching transactions

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Tue Dec 16 04:47:47 EST 2008

What I miss, is being unable to edit a scheduled transaction before importing
it.  Don's paycheck example is perhaps the most common.

Another issue is when a scheduled transaction doesn't happen on the exact day
when it is supposed to.  The old clunky scheduler was better in this regard,
but I wouldn't want to return to it!   Just being able to select some items
rather than all or none, would improve things.  No doubt these issues are
being worked on.  I am using 2.2.6 from the Mandriva 2009 repositories.

Comparing Gnucash and Quicken, amounts are matched better in Gnucash, but some
other correspondences are worse.  For example, Gnucash will pick up a cheque
number and amount and match it against the book entry, where Quicken can't,
but in Quicken, after I right-click and elect to look for it myself, it gives
me a selection screen with only 4 lines of the cashbook at a time in the
window, a far more time-consuming process.  Quicken doesn't seem to use dates
at all.  Instead of suggesting a transaction with the same date, it almost
invariably suggests the earliest similar transaction.  Once again, a regular
paycheck is the most common example.

Australia is still tied to QIFs.

Doug.