Mortgage amortization table

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 16:39:54 EST 2008

Marty Fix wrote:
> Tim,
> 	Yes, now that I look at it closer, that is what I am seeing.
> Essentially the first payment split is missing, it is starting with
> the second payment.

Another issue I had after trying unsuccessfully today to get the
Mortgage druid to create an amortization table that was correct for my
mortgage was adding additional principle.

Each months interest should be calculated on the existing balance of the
loan.  The difference between that and the original calculated monthly
payment is the amount applied to principle.  Then, you should have the
option of adding additional principle.  The sum of the calculated
principle + any added principle subtracted from the balanced gives the
next months balance.

There is no way (unless very recently added) to get at an account
balance to use in the scheduled transactions so I don't think there is a
way to get the correct amounts calculated each month.  For now, I set up
a spreadsheet with an amortization table that shows the principle and
interest each month.  Then, my scheduled transaction in GC just has two
variables, principle and interest.

Perhaps a future version of GC will have a nicer amortization feature.

-Dennis