Some questions / requests from a QB convert

Josh Trutwin josh at trutwins.homeip.net
Fri Feb 1 08:42:30 EST 2008

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 00:18:18 -0800
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew at swclan.homelinux.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 10:20:03PM -0600, Josh Trutwin wrote:
>
> > 1. When I display a customer's invoices, is there any way to add
> > the invoice amount to the search results?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.

You addressed this in an different reply with the Aging report which
shows the invoice amounts - I was not finding this information on the
Customer's Invoices search page.  That Aging Report is a good tab to
just leave open at all times.  :)

> > 2. I recently sent a customer 3 invoices, he sent me one check.
> > Is there a way to apply a single payment to multiple invoices so
> > my checking register matches my bank statements (a payment
> > "split" I guess).  I'm guessing no as this seems kind of
> > complicated and probably doesn't happen often.
>
> Just set the amount of payment to the amount on the check instead of
> the amount for the current invoice. It's important to note that
> gnucash handles payments in a fifo manner. Payments are not applied
> directly to individual invoices, but instead are applied to the
> account as a whole. The earliest invoices will be marked as paid.

Interesting, should work fine.  Do the amounts get taken into
consideration at all? Say my earliest invoice is A for $100, then B
for $200 then C for $300 and I get a $500 payment - does it mark B,C
as paid, or A,B as paid and a $100 balance on C?  For that matter if
an invoice is partially paid is there an indication of that
anywhere?  Maybe the aging report.

> > 3. When entering data into the Checking Account / Credit Card
> > registers is there a way to add a Vendor column in addition to the
> > Description?
>
> no. what are you trying to do with this? Please describe this (and
> 1) more fully. thanks

Maybe Vendor wasn't the right word to use here.  When I enter a
transaction into my checking register on quickbooks I enter the date,
check number if applicable, vendor/payee (e.g. OfficeMax), account
(Office Supplies), description (Bought some paper clips) and amount.
In gnucash, all of those options are there except a vendor/payee.  If
I want to show a report of the checks I've written to OfficeMax I
would have to search for OfficeMax in the Description text.  I can
certainly live without it as long as I'm diligent and verbose when
entering descriptions but having worked in QB for 5 years I find this
difference strange.

Thanks for your help,

Josh