Starting "Fresh" ?

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Mon Feb 4 18:24:14 EST 2008

> Quoting "Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET" <ml at t-b-o-h.net>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I'd like to take the accounts+vendors I created last year and
> > start fresh for the new one with no transactions. I exported the
> > accounts, but the vendors weren't part of it. Is there some way to do
> > this?
>
> Nope.
>
> The best thing you could do is make a backup copy of your data file,
> uncompress it, and then hand-edit and remove all the transactions
> by hand.
>
> Sorry.

	No worries. I realize this is a "nonstandard thing" to do.

	What I ended up doing was exporting accounts, and exporting to
QSF the Vendors. I entered one vendor into my blank accounts file.
zcat'd the results to another file, figured out the format of the
vendor section, and then wrote a quickie perl script to reformat the
QSF into what was expected. Opened the file up new, and everything
I wanted was there.

	THAT being said, I did run into one problem... When I
go to add a new Vendor, it has been assigning it a number already
in the system. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the
system kept track of the next vendor number to assign.

	I also ran into something else, that was entirely my own
doing. I entered an invoice under "Dominon" instead of "DirecTV".
Since the vendor is uneditable, zcat'd the file, found the entry,
and swapped the guid for the guid of the correct one. It appears
to have worked perfectly, but wanted to know if there were any
gotchas I might want to know about.

	I realize I'm playing VERY fast and VERY loose with things
here, and I'm prepared for what may come of it. This is just for
a rental house where all the information is for my personal use.
All the real "Need for the gubberment" numbers are provided by
outside agencies.

		Thanks, Tuc