OFX Import and negative prices on stock transactions

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Fri Feb 8 22:06:35 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 04:10:28PM -0500, Dave Reiser wrote:
| Charles Gagnon wrote:
| > David Reiser wrote:
| >> On Feb 7, 2008, at 11:00 PM, Charles Gagnon wrote:
| > [...]

| Negative total as in <TOTAL>-2269.00</TOTAL> in the ofx data stream.
| The ofx spec says:
| "In a stock buy, the total value is negative, the unit price is always
| positive, and the number of units is positive."
| So I'm of the opinion that the spec requires your bank/broker to put the
| '-' sign in the total field for a buy so that libofx and gnucash can
| interpret it correctly.

I think you are talking about the same problem I observed.  When I
import the QFX for my 401K, GnuCash shows the correct units, a
negative unit price, and the debits/credits are reversed.  This
makes my brokerage account increase in balance while simultaneously my
fund account increases.

I deal with this by correcting the debits/credits after each import.
For me this amounts to only six transactions each month.

I experimented with inserting the minus sign in the total.  When I did
this GnuCash imported the transactions correctly.

HTH,
-Derrick

--
The Lord detests all the proud of heart.
Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org