GnuCash v2.21 - importing QIF file ...

zed zed at zed.net.nz
Thu Feb 21 02:33:18 EST 2008

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

Hi

> zed <zed at zed.net.nz> writes:
>
> > For some time I have been using KMyMoney for my accounting needs.  I
> > have now changed over to the GNOME environment and decided to give
> > Gnucash a try but cannot import my account data files.
> >
> > Firstly, I saved the KMyMoney files as QIF.  Loaded Gnucash and
> > clicked on Import.  Went to the directory in which the account file
> > was and them clicked on Forward.  It appeared to be importing but I
> > then got an error message:
> >
> > QIF file parse failed.  Data for number or date does not match a known
> > format
>
> This error means either the number field or the date field failed.

<snip>

> > Can anybody on the list assist me with this problem, please.
>
> If you look in your QIF file (QIF is just text) then you'll see some
> examples.  The Date field is under 'D', and the number fields are under
> a bunch of other ones.
>
> Try to find a negative number somewhere.   IIRC that KMM exports
> negative numbers as:  (1234.56) instead of -1234.56 which would
> definitely confuse the GnuCash importer as the former is not a supported
> format.

Thank you very much for the very prompt reply. Your advice was "right on
the button" :-)  I loaded the QIF file, did a search and replace and all
went well.  Checked the imported file against the original and it is
"perfect".  I am a very happy geriatric.

All that now remains is to learn how to "drive" GnuCash.

Regards from New Zealand on a very cool and rainy Thursday evening.

Zed
--
zed

The art of living is to want less and experience more.