Importing from Quicken

zephod at cfl.rr.com zephod at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 24 12:39:08 EST 2008

I am a new GnuCash user having recently moved from Quicken since they are doing their extortion trick of forcing you to upgrade or lose the ability to download stock prices which really come from Yahoo. Grrrr.

<Deep breath>Anyway, I have about 15yrs of data that I imported in GC and I had 2 main problems during the import.

1) I got messages that some transactions were deleted because they were not supported in GC. These all turned out to be stock shorts and their corresponding covers. Is shorting stock really not supported and if the answer is yes, then how do I go about reconciling the brokerage account that contains these transactions?

2) After the import was finished, I reorganized my accounts so that they are all subaccounts of the 4 main accounts: assets, liabilities, income or expenses. There was no equity account so I just created one. How can I get this equity account to show my net worth assuming that I am correct in thinking that is what this account is for?

TIA
Steve