Unable to use security editor to enlist new stocks for Dhaka Stock Exchange

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 12:49:42 EST 2008

Having now seen this topic come up a few times since I began following these
lists, I think it is reasonable to raise the point that it appears that the
control in question behaves in contradiction to user expectations. It is
presented as a drop-down box, which in most environments implies a specific
(bounded) list of entries.

Since this is actually a free-text field, I wonder a few things:

1) How is the list used? I suspect that its primary use is to group stocks and
bonds together in various gnucash displays, but I wonder whether it has more
substantial uses (such as determining the lookup for online quotes).

2) What drawbacks would result if the control were changed to a textbox?
Obviously, term control could suffer, as users type in any sort of text.

If the list is only used for internal display purposes, then there is little
reason for the control to be a dropdown. If it is used for remote access as
well, then perhaps it would be advisable to limit the control a little more
strictly, and create an explicit interface (complete with error-checking, etc.)
to allow modifications to the list.

A different approach might be to use the same type-ahead behavior that is used
in the Description field of a register. That way, if a term has been used,
users can quickly select the correct term. [In acknowledgement of recent
threads, I note that typos can be propagated repeatedly in a type-ahead
situation]

David