help with categories & strange boxes in Gnucash

Venstra, Elizabeth J erytting at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 25 19:30:59 EST 2008

Hi,

I just downloaded Gnucash (2.2.3) on the recommendation of a friend.  My first question is: Is there a way to customize the spending categories?  I have looked in every menu multiple times and I cannot find anything that looks like this, nor can I find an answer in the help document.

I've also noticed, just now when I minimized the active windows to send this email, that  there are about 20 small bars saying "gnucash" just above the taskbar.  When I bring Gnucash back up (i.e., click on its space in the taskbar), all of these little bars spawn blank boxes of various sizes and shapes that inexplicably pepper the window and remain on top no matter what I do (unless I minimize the program again, when they return to their places above the taskbar).  I can only guess that I've somehow generated them in my desperate clicking around in the program, attempting to find the tool for customizing categories.  Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth