"Find" no longer works

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 28 20:04:51 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:58:58PM -0800, fml at petrel.rprc.washington.edu wrote:
> For some time now, "Find" no longer works.  If I click on Edit/Find,
> several small windows open and vanish before anything in them can be
> read.  This used to work!
>
> I'm running gnucash-2.2.3 (Debian/lenny-testing).  I've similarly
> whined on debian-users without getting any response.  Everything
> else that I've tried works.
>
> If anyone has any clue regarding how to make this work once more -
> or even how to get more revealing diagnostic clues, I'd appreciate
> it.  (I tried running it with strace but didn't see anything helpful
> in the deluge.)  I haven't (yet) tried building gnucash directly.
>
> Thanks for any constructive ideas you might have!

as the others have said, there is an issue with certain window
managers and the way gnucash creates the find dialog. You have a
couple of options:

1) use a different window manager, or

2) there might be a fix in svn...

Also, complain to your window manager devs. There is some discussion in the
archives of this list, the archives of #gnucash irc and the xmonad bug
tracker (and probably their email archives as well, I don't recall).

The technique used in the find dialogs sends some WM's into a tizzy,
but the behavior the find dialog is reasonable...