Managing large files

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 28 20:13:18 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 02:39:50PM +0100, Davide Imbeni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the same problem. All data since 2000 in one file.
> I'd like to keep it as it is in order to be able to get year to year
> comparisons, but reporting time is long.

Just for the record, since I made some of the improvements to Income
Statement, the pre-improvement time on my machine was over four
minutes for an income statement versus something like 45 seconds
now. So, we've come a long way, but there is still a long way to
go. At least I don't have time to go get more coffee while it
runs... ;)

I'm not sure what the cause of this poor performance is, but I suspect
the code that returns a list of transactions for a date range is
fairly inefficient...