Advanced Portfolio Report

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 28 22:47:22 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:53:07AM +0000, Richard Ullger wrote:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > Richard Ullger <rullger at ntlworld.com> writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there a way to include cash, dividends and interest in this report?
> >>
> >> I have a parent account for the broker/institution with a bank sub
> >> account for cash and stock sub account for each stock as per the
> >> concepts guide. Dividends and interest are received into the bank
> >> account and the bank account is used to fund purchases of the stock.
> >>
> >> I've tried to include the bank account in the account selection tab of
> >> the report options but the account is ignored.
> >
> > Andrew S-W could answer this difinitively, but I think the answer
> > is no, this report only shows your commodity handlings, not your
> > cash holdings, too.  Keep in mind that your cash holdings don't
> > change in value due to price fluctuations, so there are no changes
> > in basis or cap gains/losses.  There's only interest income.

here I am ;)

Derek is correct, the Advanced Portfolio report *only* looks at the
individual commodity accounts and transactions into and out of those
accounts.

There have been a whole raft of discussions of what to do with
portfolio reports. Please review the devel archives and search
bugzilla for enhancement requests against adv. portfolio.

Your comments are appreciated. In a perfect world, my plan is to
factor out large chunks of the portfolio report into a utility file
that could then be used by any number of portfolio type reports... but
that's dependent on more time than I currently have.

> Where would I start to write such a report. Are the reports written in c
> or scheme. Would you be able to point me in the right direction so that
> I could look at how the advanced portfolio report was written as a starter.

the relevant report is in
src/report/standard-reports/advanced-portfolio.scm

Based on what you've said, I *think* you are looking for something
that will track your "brokerage" statement as opposed to your
individual stocks? It's certainly concievable. In the meantime, you
might find the multi-column report helps -- you could stick a
portfolio report alongside an income statemnt for the selected
accounts or something like that.